Go Back   Harley-Davidson Forum > Questions & Answers > General Questions

Notices

Twin cam valvetrain noise?
Old 07-08-2007, 09:00 PM
colt-88

Default Twin cam valvetrain noise?

Mike,
I just bought a 2000 flht with 15k miles.When it warms up it seems to have a lot of valve train noise.This is a stock motor with a stage 1 kit.Warm oil pressure at idle is #5 pounds,at 2500 rpm it is 34 pounds.
I have been told the Latus bypass spring is the way to go to get rid of the noise.Is it alright to use this spring on a stock motor?
I have been told told I should try a new set of tapetts by my local wrench, which I would be willing to do but I thouhgt I would try the bypass spring first.
I have also been told that all these early TC 88s had noisey valve trains and I should just live with it,but it is driving me crazy!
Thanks for any help !

RE: Twin cam valvetrain noise?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Default RE: Twin cam valvetrain noise?

Apologies for late reply. You can try the spring and we've had reports that it helps with the noise in similar situations, but I would not gurauntee this will work in all cases. We would have no problem installing the spring in a totally stock motor. A better route would be to install some of the upgrades H-D has made since your model year, along the lines of your local technicians recommendation. These would be the "B" tappets, new cam web plate and "B" oil pump (with a recent price increase on the O.E. "B" pump, the Fueling pump at $30.00 more is worth considering and better yet). Most of these changes were to address noise and oil scavenging. While doing so, this would be a good time to replace the chains and tensioners for insurance. Also a good time to install cams if your thinking of doing so later, but this will also require mapping changes if it is an EFI bike.
Mike