Go Back   Harley-Davidson Forum > Questions & Answers > Performance

Notices

Performance Performance related posts.

cams and heads, pistons etc
Old 11-10-2006, 09:00 PM
hrlee7804

Default cams and heads, pistons etc

Mike we talked earlier this week about doing heads and cams on an 04 dressser. I have a few questions before ordering parts....I plan on using .570 lift cams per your advise and I see are available from both S&S and Andrews (67g vs 570g). Their .570 lift cams have some small differences in timing, duration and lift at TDC. Andrews complete kits are available at a lesser price than cams and gears and bearing separate from S&S. I know Andrews builds cams for S&S to their spec.. We had talked about S&S cams when we talked earlier. My question is are the Andrews cams going to give me the same performance as the S&S even with the small differences in numbers? Next, Can you tell me if I use S.E. pistons (10.25:1) with Baisley heads and the .570 lift cam will the S.E. pistons have to be fly cut or are they ready to use? Dan Baisley has pistons available but need to be cut at an extra charge. I can't find any tech info available from S.E. about how much lift their pistons are cut for...Thanks in advance and good luck this weekend at the track...Ron

RE: cams and heads, pistons etc
Old 11-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Default RE: cams and heads, pistons etc

Apologies for late reply! The 67 cams will reduce corrected cylinder pressure from 9.4 to 9.0 due to the later intake closing. I would be a little worried about the motor running soft at lower rpms from this and the longer duration. In the Andrews lineup, the 55g's would be a better choice. We've done this combo and it works fine! We sacrifice some lift but the timing will be more important than a .020 loss of lift.
Because of the larger valves, the pistons should be cut to insure clearance, a must do if using the Cometic .030 head gaskets. TDC lifts of 180 or less will clear (with an .045 head gasket) but allow no room for float or the recommended clearance of .080 valve to piston. Dan does this for a very reasonable fee.
Thanks, Mike